Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Last Remodeling Project:  New Drapes

It took a good two months before I was able to obtain the 300-thread Egyptian Midnight Blue 100% cotton material I wanted for the bay-window's custom-made drapes.  I ordered the material four times and the seller(s) either lied, grabbed my money, then claimed the material was 'back-ordered' or purposely sent the wrong color (Teal Blue, a very light washed out blue).  I finally found the material from a small independent fabric wholesaler and he gave me a very good price.  The yardage arrived within a week of the order and today was the day I sat down to measure, cut, sew, hem and hang the drapes. The bay window faces the west and lights up beautifully by two p.m. each day casting the room in a beautiful blue light.

Over the last ten months I undertook a complete remodeling of my apartment.  Today it looks nothing like it did last year.  The new features include a custom made loft bed that stands six feet tall and required a separate custom-made set of stairs for entry.  In the living room I added a hand-woven Oriental 10' X 15' rug from China, hired carpenters to create two custom-made dressers, replaced every door within the apartment with louvered double-doors, added a new shower and toilet, Turkish sheet towels, light fixtures and probably fifteen gallons of white semi-gloss and flat paints.

The work on the apartment is now done.  Here are the new drapes: